Led by The Rev. Ross Purdy and Mayor Jess Talamantes, congregants of the First Presbyterian Church of Burbank were invited to join pastor and pol to turn a small patch of earth, ceremoniously commencing the groundbreaking for major renovations at their Olive Avenue house of worship on Sept. 25.
Organized in 1887, the structure that first housed Burbank Pres, as it is referred to by congregants, was located at the corner of Fifth Street and Palm Avenue. Leveled by a windstorm in 1891, a new church was built in 1894 at Third Street and Angeleno Avenue. After two decades of service, that structure was destroyed by a fire in 1915 and rebuilt at its current location at Fifth Street and Olive Avenue. In 1948, the present building was erected with the sanctuary completed in 1956.
As the years have passed, church staff has become increasingly aware that the layout and design of their existing church was not optimally efficient. With a majority of the structure not properly conducive for functions and inaccessible to elderly or physically challenged parishioners, growth was once again in order. The new design will optimize the functionality of the facility and campus; create a more asthetically inviting and sustainable structure, and bring it into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.