YOU ARE HERE: Burbank HomeCollections

Bell-Jeff goes bust

Football: Guards see defensive battle turn into a lopsided St. Monica win, 21-0, Saturday.

November 05, 2011|By Andrew Shortall,

NORTH HOLLYWOOD — The season ended on a sour note for the Bellarmine-Jefferson High football team, as a one-score game morphed into a lopsided defeat for the Guards, who hosted Santa Monica at North Hollywood High Saturday afternoon.

The Guards were in striking distance the entire game, but simply couldn't move the ball on offense. They picked up just 105 offensive yards (57 passing, 48 rushing) and turned the ball over four times (two fumbles and two interceptions). The Mariners didn't fair much better in the Santa Fe League matchup, committing three turnovers in the game, but they were able to redeem themselves late and walk away with a 21-0 victory.

"When it came down to it, we were both making turnovers and it boiled down to who was going to fold in the end," said Bell-Jeff Coach Rolando Aguirre, who saw his team go from down 6-0 in the last five minutes to losing by 21.


St. Monica Coach Adam Guerra knew his team had its fair share of struggles Saturday as well.

"We just couldn't find a rhythm on offense," Guerra said. "I can't tell you specifically why. [Bell-Jeff] had a good game plan of slowing the game down and we just had no rhythm. It was an ugly game."

The Mariners (6-3 overall, 2-1 in league) scored on their second possession of the game when quarterback Luke Cain (eight of 21 for 144 yards) hit Bryan DeGrate with a 33-yard touchdown pass. The score put the Mariners up 6-0, after a missed extra point, with 1:01 left in the first quarter.

The Guards (3-7, 0-4) were given a golden opportunity to score on their next two possessions, but came up empty both times.

After the DeGrate 33-yard score, the Mariners tried to catch Bell-Jeff off guard with an onside kick, but it was recovered by the Guards at their own 44.

Bell-Jeff moved the ball to St. Monica's 15 but DeGrate killed the drive when he intercepted a pass in the Guards' end zone with 6:45 remaining in the first half. Bell-Jeff had another prime scoring opportunity when the Guards' Michael Gomez intercepted a Cain pass at his team's own 35 and returned it 50 yards back to St. Monica's 15, giving Bell-Jeff 1:54 in the half to find the end zone.

Bell-Jeff only moved in reverse, though, as a holding penalty pushed the Guards back to the 25. The Guards attempted a 43-yard field goal, but it came up short as time ran out in the first half.

"It was tough, we couldn't score," Aguirre said. "We kept dropping the football and then we couldn't throw it. Things didn't click for us."

Burbank Leader Articles Burbank Leader Articles