A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Wednesday gave attorneys for the city of Burbank and Walmart four more months to prepare their defense against a lawsuit filed to block the mega-retailer from opening adjacent to the Empire Center.
The additional time could further delay Walmart’s plans to open at the former Great Indoors site, where no work has been allowed since a court-ordered injunction was issued last month.
“I’m not in a hurry anymore. Everybody’s gotten over being in a hurry,” said Superior Court Judge Ann I. Jones after the attorneys made their request.
The defense may include updated information from Burbank’s traffic engineer, said attorney Katherine Jenson, who is representing the city.
Walmart attorney Rollin Chippey II also said he plans to file a motion to lift the injunction that was issued to halt construction pending a trial.
Three Burbank women — Shanna Ingalsbee, Katherine Olson and Yvette Ziraldo — filed a lawsuit earlier this year to stop construction of the Walmart until another environmental impact review is conducted and street improvements that are part of a city ordinance passed in 2000 are complete.