The house fire that claimed the life of a Burbank woman and left two others injured two weeks ago was caused by the improper use of candles, authorities said Thursday.
Details on how many candles or what types of candles were being used were not available, but fire officials confirmed the home did not have electricity.
The 69-year-old woman, identified by Los Angeles County coroner’s officials as Irmhild Marcaccio, died at the hospital of smoke inhalation. Her son and daughter-in-law, who lived with her, suffered minor burns.
According to Marcaccio’s next-door neighbor, Rena McCann, the family used candles for additional light. For six weeks, McCann had supplied an electrical cord to her neighbor, which was enough to power a television, a light and Marcaccio’s medical equipment.
The Friday before the fire, Marcaccio’s son told McCann they no longer needed the power because their electricity would be turned back on the next day, McCann said. It never was.