Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Burbank HomeCollectionsDiscrimination
IN THE NEWS

Discrimination

NEWS
By Jeremy Oberstein | September 22, 2007
CITY HALL ? The City Council unanimously denied an appeal Tuesday from a homeowner looking to nearly double the size of her Frederic Street home, much to the relief of some neighbors. Zahira Fazilat, owner of the Magnolia Park property, asked the council to reconsider a Planning Board decision that denied her the right to add a wing to her main house. Fazilat lives in Orange County and works in Burbank, but wants to move back to the home where she was raised to look after her 83-year-old mother, who lives there now. The main house is now flanked by a smaller, 265-square-foot bedroom that Fazilat has rented out in the past.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Gretchen Meier, gretchen.meier@latimes.com | August 14, 2010
With the city still recovering from an officer-involved shooting, several police civil rights lawsuits and probes into allegations of misconduct, officials are gearing up for a public forum on Wednesday in which residents will be able to voice their concerns. While the forum was approved by the City Council, Mayor Anja Reinke said it was more about the chance for the public to interact with police officials. "I hope the community comes out and is able to get their questions answered by the Police Department," said Reinke, who acts as the council's liaison to the Police Commission.
NEWS
By Maria Hsin, maria.hsin@latimes.com | April 3, 2012
Jurors in a trial brought by an Armenian American Burbank police detective who alleged he was harassed and faced discrimination were asked by his attorney Tuesday to award him $600,000 to $1 million. In his closing arguments in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Solomon Gresen, who is representing police Det. Steve Karagiosian, told jurors that the city does not deny that ethnic slurs were made, but instead is downplaying their significance. “The defense is not saying it didn't happen,” Gresen said.
NEWS
December 12, 2001
Ryan Carter BURBANK -- A trio of city employees suing the city for job discrimination and wrongful termination must amend portions of their claim, a Los Angeles Superior Coury judge has ruled. In his order, issued last week, Judge William Highberger asked attorneys for Tina Staffon, Richard Benson and Beverly Starleaf to amend their claims of age and disability discrimination, job retaliation, gender discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful discharge.
THE818NOW
By Mark Kellam, mark.kellam@latimes.com | February 26, 2013
A discrimination lawsuit filed by a former manager of a Home Depot in Burbank against the company was settled earlier this month, court records show. Last month, a U.S. District judge ordered an independent mental evaluation of Danielle Mailhoit, who claimed she was fired in 2010 due to gender discrimination and because she suffers from vertigo. She claimed the company didn't make appropriate accommodations for her condition, an allegation Home Depot denies. The company countered that there were valid reasons for Mailhoit's termination, stating “there existed legitimate, nondiscriminatory and nonretaliatory reasons” for her dismissal.
NEWS
November 21, 2001
Ryan Carter BURBANK -- Burbank officials are hoping that two discrimination lawsuits pending against the city will go the way of a case that was dismissed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. Judge Madeleine Flier upheld the city's motion Tuesday to dismiss the discrimination suit filed by Marie Galvez, Lawrence Lee Wagenbach and Swen Williams, after the plaintiffs failed to produce an amended complaint, authorities said. The trio alleged in their lawsuit, which was filed in May, that while they were employed in the city's Public Services Department last year, they endured racial and age discrimination by Assistant General Manager Richard Corbi while suffering retaliation and wrongful termination for making internal complaints.
NEWS
By Christopher Cadelago | June 19, 2010
DOWNTOWN — The Burbank Police Department has severed ties with three more police officers, bringing to 10 the total number of officers fired since the city initiated a probe into allegations of misconduct stemming from the 2007 Porto's Bakery robbery. All of the officers were fired for allegedly acting improperly or using excessive force. While some of the alleged misconduct occurred during the robbery investigation, other actions were discovered when the city widened its internal review of the incident.
NEWS
By Alene Tchekmedyian, alene.tchekmedyian@latimes.com | April 8, 2014
Three Burbank men accused in connection with a double-stabbing at the Santa Monica Pier in January will stand trial on attempted murder and assault charges a judge ruled this week. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Deborah Brazil ruled Monday there was enough evidence presented during the two-day preliminary hearing to move forward with a trial against Araik Ovoian, 24, Gevork Bagdasaryan, 19, and Alex Akbari, 18, for the stabbing and assault of alleged victims Antonio Castillo and Gilberto Dorado.
NEWS
October 2, 2009
The latest lawsuit filed against the Burbank Police Department this week brings the number of current and former officers claiming some form of mistreatment to seven, a disturbing trend that begs a high-level review of just what’s going on over there. In the latest lawsuit, police Capt. Bill Taylor alleged he was unfairly demoted from his post as deputy chief after pushing for investigations into claims of abuse and sexual misconduct among the rank and file. Four officers and a lieutenant filed a discrimination lawsuit against the department in May alleging racial discrimination and sexual harassment, followed by a lawsuit in July from a Japanese American former police detective claiming he was unlawfully fired in retaliation for lodging racial discrimination complaints.
Burbank Leader Articles Burbank Leader Articles
|